- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped nuts
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees for glass dish). In 13x9-inch baking pan, melt margarine in oven. Sprinkle crumbs over butter; pour EAGLE BRAND® evenly over crumbs. Layer evenly with remaining ingredients; press down firmly. Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Chill if desired. Cut into bars. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
- 7-Layer Magic Cookie Bars: Substitute 1 cup (6-ounces) butterscotch flavored chips* for 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and proceed as directed above.
- Peanut butter flavored chips or white chocolate chips may be substituted for butterscotch flavored chips.
- Magic Peanut Cookie Bars: Substitute 2 cups (about 3/4 pound) chocolate-covered peanuts for semi-sweet chocolate chips and chopped nuts.
- Magic Rainbow Cookie Bars: Substitute 2 cups plain candy-coated chocolate candies for semi-sweet chocolate chips.
It's best if you melt the butter int he microwave, mix it all together with the crumbs and then press the sticky crumbs in the dish. You can really add any number of things. I like to make them half and half with butterscotch chips and chocolate. I also prefer without the coconut, but it's really up to you. Regardless, you MUST press the chips, nuts, coconut into the milk firmly - I usually use a glass to press down. If you have more than one-chip-high across the pan, those will fall off. They need to be pressed into the "glue" to stay on.