Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Tomato Basil Soup


This is an AWESOME soup recipe given to me by my friend Trisha Brady. I had it at a dinner I went to last night and couldn't stop eating it! It is so good.

4 cups canned whole tomatoes crushed(or one large 28 oz. can is what I used)
4 cups tomato juice
14 fresh washed basil leaves
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 lb(1 stick) sweet unsalted butter
Salt to taste
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper

Combine tomatoes and tomato juice in sauce pan. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree along with basil leaves in small batches in blender or food processor. Return to sauce pan and add cream and butter while stirring over low heat. Add pepper. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese before serving. Yields 8 servings.


Note: To save time, I just put the basil, tomato juice and crushed tomatoes in the blender first(separated in two batches since not all of it will fit in a blender), then poured into the sauce pan and stirred over low heat. Then I followed the rest of the recipe. I found it hard to cook the tomatoes/juice and then transfer the hot tomato mixture to the blender and then back to the pan.

1 comment:

-Melissa- said...

I'm glad you got the recipe. This soup looked so good the other night. Now I can make it and try it out. Thanks!