Monday, August 20, 2007

Chicken and Rice Casserole



I got this recipe from Paula's Home Cookin' on the Food Network and I LOVE this casserole. I wish I could send the smell along with the picture because it smells delicious and tastes so YUMMY!

2 (14 1/2 oz) cans whole green beans

1 c. mayonnaise

3 c. diced cooked chicken (I use approx. 20 oz of the canned chicken)

(6 oz) box long-grain and wild rice original recipe

1/2 medium onion

1 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese

1 (8 oz) can sliced water chestnuts (found in the oriental section of grocery store)

pinch of salt

1 (4 oz) can pimentos (usually by the olives and/or peppers in grocery store)

1 can condensed cream of celery soup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook rice according to package directions. Dice and saute onion. Rinse and drain green beans. Drain and chop water chestnuts. Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased 3 quart casserole dish (I use a 13x9 baking dish). Bake for 20-25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

*You may be tempted to leave some ingredients out, but I promise, you should make it with all the ingredients first and try it. I couldn't find pimentos and water chestnuts the first time I tried to make it and it was ok, but then I found them and made it again and now it's my favorite meal. I make it when I have the missionaries over for dinner and they have always said how delicious it is...and they always have 2nd's so I am pretty sure they're being honest. :)

4 comments:

hoLLy said...

We'll be trying this soon! Sounds good-thanks Kim!

hoLLy said...

p.s. love the pictures! i am now taking pictures of just about everything i make. joey thinks its funny. i'm like, its for the blog!! and for a future cookbook i plan on making and printing out with all the recipes i've tried that i've liked.

jessica said...

This sounds really easy and really good. Plus if it came from Paula Deen, then it MUST be wonderful!

hoLLy said...

i made this last night and it was really really good. it is now a new favorite at this house. my kids loved it too-yea! thanks!